top of page
THE HISTORY OF ALPHA PHI
Alpha Phi’s history begins in 1872, rooted in the bold innovation of our Ten Founders—some of Syracuse University’s first female students. Several decided that they were not satisfied with merely participating in the classroom, as well as being denied admission to the men’s fraternities. As a result, they decided to create their own fraternity for women. From the beginning, they envisioned an expansive sisterhood, and their leadership and organizational practices set the tone for the Alpha Phi of today. Much like our present-day membership, the Founders were a group of curious women who did not back down from a challenge—women who had a vision for our sisterhood and the confidence in one another to make an impact.
From hand to hand and heart to heart, we are grateful and proud of the legacy left to us by our Founders—Ten individuals who paved the way for women in higher education and created a legacy built on friendship and mutual respect.
1906: THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL CHAPTER
Alpha Phi became an "International" fraternity when Xi chapter was chartered at the University of Toronto.
bottom of page